Planning the golden years

by Anonymous Author

Despite the inevitable aches and pains that come with it, ageing is a privilege denied to many, and with a little planning, you and your loved ones can make the most of your time together without the added stress.

Ensuring you have a solid plan regarding aged care and funeral arrangements can make what is a difficult time emotionally, a little easier.

When someone moves into residential care in a rest home or hospital, they sign a contract and get information about their rights and responsibilities. There are two main documents that need to be signed: an admission agreement and a plan for care.

It is advisable to get legal or independent advice about the admission agreement, and the rest home may ask you to set up an Enduring Power of Attorney before move-in day.

Sometimes the move might happen suddenly, and there is no time to sign in the admission agreement. In this case, either the person moving or the power of attorney should sign it as soon as possible.

In the case of an urgent move, it may be necessary to move into any rest home that has a room available.

You can always transfer to the preferred home when a room becomes available. The person’s doctor and family should be notified of the move, and the admission agreement will state how much notice is required to be given. 

The government’s residential care subsidy only pays for a standard room, so this may mean moving into another rest home until an affordable room becomes available in the preferred rest home.

Guidelines around this subsidy can be found on the New Zealand Government website and search for rest homes and residential care.