Council apologises for water cut
by Mike Isle
The cut to water supplies that affected some homes in the Faringdon area of Rolleston on Monday and again on Tuesday has been resolved, says the Selwyn District Council.
However, some residents still feel frustrated at the council’s handling of the issue, pointing to a lack of consultation and warning.
The council’s asset manager, Murray Washington, said the water outages were part of a scheduled shutdown to allow for planned water upgrades. Residents in the planned affected area—Goulds Road, Oak Tree Land and Kakapo Place — had been notified by letter box drops on Thursday, July 12 he said.
“Unfortunately, the shutdown affected a larger area than was anticipated.
“We estimate around 1,000 households could have been without water for a period.
“While the water was restored, the council provided a tanker with potable water and residents were also able to fill water containers at the Rolleston Community Centre, the Selwyn Aquatic Centre and at the Selwyn District Council on Norman Kirk Drive.”
Mr Washington said the council thanked affected residents for their patience while contractors worked to restore the service, and apologised for any inconvenience caused.