Changing face of Lincoln
by Anonymous Author
Up-and-coming Lincoln is rapidly expanding as a result of the Christchurch rebuild.
Historically a rural area, urbanisation is making its way into Lincoln, a place which was once dominated by agriculture, university digs and student flats.
Now Lincoln is in a state of gentrification with people moving from the city and starting their new lives post-quake.
Located 22 kilometres southwest of Christchurch, Lincoln is in the Selwyn District and is a satellite area of Christchurch.
The town has a thriving population of 5,640 — 53 per cent of who commute to Christchurch for work according to the last census conducted by Statistics New Zealand.
Lincoln is named after the Earl of Lincoln who was the fifth Duke of Newcastle and secretary of state for the colonies.
In the early days, Lincoln was a peaceful rural town — this changed in 1875 with the arrival of the railway line and the opening of the Little River line in 1886. Nowadays, the railway is used exclusively for recreation.
The university, historically and currently, makes up a large part of the town’s identity. It was founded in 1878 as a school of agriculture and is the country’s third-oldest university.
When agriculture became a well-established part of New Zealand’s export industry, the School of Agriculture separated from Canterbury College and became Canterbury Agricultural College. The university was renamed Lincoln College in 1961 and became part of the University of Canterbury, however, in 1990 Lincoln University became a self-governing national university.
These days with property prices rising in Christchurch, Lincoln’s proximity to the big city makes it a popular place for those wanting the best of both worlds — rural and urban.